Adding encrypt / decrypt options in windows right click menu will enable user to directly encrypt or decrypt any windows file or folder easily.
This encryption and decryption of files can be done through the file property dailog, but rather than going through this process we can access this feature of windows directly through a right click of mouse.
For that we have to make small change on windows registry.
Steps to add encrypt / decrypt options in windows right click menu
- Go to start menu and type “regedit.exe” and open it
- Now open the following path:
- Now on right hand panel – right click, then click on new -> DWORD (32-bit) Value
- Set its name to – “EncryptionContextMenu“, then hit enter
- Now double click on it and change its value to ‘1‘ and click ok
- Now a new option – Encrypt is added to right click menu
NOTE: If you are not comfortable in working with windows registry then i suggest that you follow the below technique to enable encrypt and decrypt options.
Add encrypt / decrypt options in windows right click menu through notepad
You can do anything on notepad and so does changing the windows registry.
For the simplicity of above part i have provided a code in case you don’t want to mess up with windows registry, all you need to do is to follow below steps:
- Open Notepad
- Paste the code given below to your notepad for enabling encrypt and decrypt options
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced] "EncryptionContextMenu"=dword:00000001
- Now save the file as “encrypt.reg” or “*.reg“
- Now open the file by (double clicking on it), then click yes for admin control. After that another message will be popped up – click yes again and encrypt / decrypt options in windows right click menu are added
Now if you right click on any file – you’ll see Encrypt option; just like in the below image:
If you don’t want that encrypt / decrypt options in windows right click menu then:
- Open notepad and paste the code given below:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced] "EncryptionContextMenu"=dword:00000000
- Now save this file as “stop_encrypt.reg” or “*.reg” and select “all files” and click save
- Now open the file (by double clicking on it) and click yes twice just like in above steps.
- Now the encrypt / decrypt options will be disabled.
Encryption and decryption of files/folders are allowed only in Pro or enterprise version of windows.
Now enjoy encrypting & decrypting your files and folder in windows operating system.