Who doesn’t love Firefox, I do love this browser and why not, this browser is great and provides amazing extensions with the help of which we can take most out of Firefox which eventually improve our browsing experience.
With each and every update Firefox is getting better and better, it provides many tools to us for enhancing our experience but the problem is that we are not using them correctly.
So here are some coolest Firefox tips & tricks after which you can use it like a pro:
1. More space on screen:
You can make more space on your screen by making the icons small.
Go to View -> Toolbar -> Customize and tick on box named “use small icons”.
2. Smart keywords:
Suppose you search for Wikipedia a lot, then this Firefox trick will save your time. Just right click on the search box of Wikipedia, then select “add keyword for this search”, now give it any name you like which is easy to type and remember like (“sweets”) which will act as a shortcut name to search anything on Wikipedia.
Now when you type sweets on Firefox search bar, then it will directly search on Wikipedia’s search box, so there is no need to open Wikipedia and search again.
3. Keyboard Shortcuts:
If you surf internet on regular basis then by using shortcut you can save your time and it looks cool.
- Ctrl + F (find)
- Ctrl + D (bookmark page)
- Ctrl + K (go to search box)
- Ctrl + = (increase text size)
- Ctrl + – (decrease text size)
- Spacebar (page down)
- Shift + space bar (page up)
- Alt + N (find next)
- Ctrl + W (close current tab)
- Alt + home (opens homepage)
- Ctrl + L (go to address bar)
- F5 (reload page)
4. Auto complete:
Go to the address bar by pressing cltrl + L
Now you just have to type the name of site without “.com” and/or “www” for an instance; “ohkweb” then press ctrl + Enter it will automatically fills the rest of the details like www or .com.
For .org sites press ctrl + shift + Enter and for .net sites press shift + Enter.
5. Mouse shortcuts:
Mouse shortcuts are more easier than keyboard ones..
- Middle click on a tab (close tab)
- Shift + scroll down (previous page)
- ctrl + scroll down (increase text size)
- Shift + scroll up (next page)
- Middle click on a link (open it in a new tab)
6. Tab navigation:
Use keyboard to navigate to different tabs instead of using mouse. Here is how:
- Ctrl + number (Number – number of tab you want to open i.e. 1-9)
- Ctrl + tab (rotate among tabs – forward)
- Ctrl + shift + tab (rotate among tabs – backward)
7. Trick your Firefox:
Use “UserChrome.css” file to trick Firefox browser and customize your browser using that css file.
8. Delete items from address bar history:
It is sometimes becomes a dangerous situation when Firefox shows the recent URL’s that you have visited, right BOYS & GIRLS?! 😛
This is the Firefox feature to save the visited URL’s, and this is not cool with me, what about you? But since we do not want Firefox to show, then we will simply delete it.
All you have to do is to go to address bar by pressing ctrl + L and start to type address, now a drop down menu will appears, use down arrow key to go to that URL that you want to delete, now hit delete button to delete that URL.
9. Speed up Mozilla Firefox
If you type “about:config” in the address bar, it will take you to the main configuration of Firefox which is a true user’s tool; where you can find the configuration settings and list application.
It will now show you message like “This might void your warranty”, click on the button “I’ll be careful” after that in the filter field type network.http, double click on them to change the settings, do the following:
- Set http.proxy.pipelining to true
- Set http.pipelining.maxrequests to 25 – it will allow maximum of 25 request at one time
- Set http.pipelining to true
- Now right click anywhere in the blank part of window then select new – integer. We will name it as “initialpaint.delay” and assign it’s value to ‘0’. The entered value is the amount of time Firefox waits before it acts on info it receives
10. Limit the RAM usage:
If Firefox is taking too much memory on your system, then you can also limit it’s RAM usage.
Go to about:config then search browser.cahce, now double click on it, now you can change its value according to your computer’s ram, like put 15000 if you have ram of 512MB or 1GB.
Now if you are using Google chrome then you must check out its best features that you should know for better browsing experience.